How to save 100k as a 22 y/o

Starting full time in July and hopefully I'm not the only one out there in this boat, but would love advice from anyone on how I should allocate my savings.

Have $13k in student loans to pay off and ~$2k in rent each month.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (18)

9mo
PeRmAnEnTiNtErN, what's your opinion? Comment below:

让我猜一猜你只是观看一些视频说the first 100K is the hardest. Not shitting on you, but they are right. Want to know why - you have to establish good saving habits well in advance of your high earning days otherwise when you do make the big busk you won't have the good habits. After Taxes Analyst don't really make all taht much and over the course of 2-3 yrs you should be able to save 100K. Its going to be a slow process. Lets say you live in a shit hole and a save an extra $500 a month in rent - great thats only 6K - sure compound this and it could be a lot, but life is also about living too. I would set a budget and figure out where you are willing to cut / where you want to spend and set up good habits and you will get to your goals just fine.

最有帮助的
  • Analyst 1inIB - Gen
9mo

Depends a lot on rent and how frugal you are. I don't spend much, so this is my breakdown:

• Gross pay per month is $8,333
  • 12% of each paycheck into my 401k, which is a nice round $1,000 per month that I save
  • $500 per month into my IRA (to spread it evenly through the year and hit the $6,000 max)
  • I have a HDHP, so I contribute like $300 per month into a healthsavings accountto hit the max ~$3,600 amount
  • After all that + other stuff like my dental plan, etc. gets taken out of my paycheck, taxes bring my take home pay down to around $4,500 per month
  • 2k on rent means I'm left with $2,500 for food, entertainment, and other random things. (My actual rent is lower, but 2k is a round number)
  • I try to get dinner paid for when I can, and I cook a decent amount, so food SHOULD be around $500 a month. I usually go over that though lol
  • That leaves around $2,000 that you can save / invest on top of what was already put into your retirement accounts. Or you can spend with your own discretion. I personally try to invest rather than save most of it because I don't like to just sit on cash beyond an emergency savings fund

Hope this is helpful! Definitely don't need to mimic this. I think most of my peers have higher rent than me and get drinks / eat out a lot more than me, so I think my breakdown is atypical.

• Analyst 1inIB - Gen
9mo

There's a cap on the employer contribution that's like a ~4% of your salary, so $4,000 is the maximum match. You can choose to allocate part of your bonus to fill up the rest of the 401K as well if salary doesn't get you there.

9mo
BigH718, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Figure out a way to live rent free. Living at home with your parents would be the most obvious way if that's an option.

9mo
Arroz con Pollo, what's your opinion? Comment below:

BigH718

Figure out a way to live rent free. Living at home with your parents would be the most obvious way if that's an option.

I disagree - I did this for a couple years right after graduation, and while I was able to save a lot of money, my life was ass. All I did was commute, work, lift, commute, and sleep. An investment banking analyst is making more than double my first job out of college - no reason to live at home. Go live with roommates and enjoy life.

• Analyst 1inIB - Gen
9mo

This will get a lot of hate from the usual "go live and the city and have fun!!" crowd, but it's really the ONLY way outside of making extra outside of the job which inIBwell uh good luck. Living with parents effectively cuts your personal expense line item down to zero. Can't do that anywhere else or any other time in your life. I wish I could live at home rather than make some landlord and utility provider rich.

• Analyst 1inIB - Gen
9mo

Here's a list of things that have helped me:

1. Have a group of friends who enjoy doing things besides drinking at bars / clubbing. Drinks are expensive in the city. Try and pre-game before you go out. See if the add a stop option on uber is cheaper than all your friends getting in separate Ubers. Lots of cheap activities to do in the city.

2. Stay on your parents health insurance (if it's an option, their plan is probably cheaper than yours)

3. Put as much money into your 401k / Roth IRA as is possible given your circumstances. Since it's taken out of my paycheck and doesn't hit my bank account, I forget it exists and can't spend it.

4. Take advantage of all the money your firm gives you (gym stipends, wfh setups, lunch, Ubers home, cellphone reimbursement etc). Its free money.

5. Don't spend money on stupid stuff you don't need. (Not saying don't spend money, just think before you buy)

6. Pay your bills on time to avoid late fees and interest

9mo
IncomingIBDreject, what's your opinion? Comment below:

It's not free and coverage varies (may not be as good as parents plan).

Array

9mo
cfperson123, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Modi assumenda asperiores non molestiae quae debitis. Et consequatur nobis porro hic libero cupiditate tempore. Possimus aut ad ipsam reprehenderit qui.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2023万博app网页版

• Lazard Freres(+ +) 99.5%
  • Lincoln International(= =) 99.1%
  • Jefferies & Company(▽02) 98.6%
  • Financial Technology Partners(▽01) 98.2%
  • William Blair(▲10) 97.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

March 2023万博app网页版

• William Blair(▲04) 99.5%
  • Lincoln International(▲11) 99.1%