Read between JPows lines | The Daily Peel | 7/29/21

A

Market Snapshot

Earnings szn continues in mid-season form, with some of the biggest of the big dogs reporting today and yesterday. TheS&Ptraded sideways yesterday, finishing down.02%, while theNasdaqended up0.7%on the day. Meanwhile, JPow and crew have a message for you. Let's get into it.

What's Ripe

Tilray ($TLRY)– As the marijuana industry moves closer to legalization, Tilray's sales and consumers are getting higher and higher. The largest (legal) cannabis company worldwide posted a surprise profit and much greater revenue than expected, boosting shares25.8%yesterday. Withpot sales rising55%, overall revenue was up 27% YOY. As the merger with Aphria seems to be working out, more and more investors are saying "yo, let me get a hit."

Alphabet ($GOOGL)– Unlike some of its big tech buddies (see below), shares in Google's parent, Alphabet, actually went up following a stellar earnings report. 69% was the key number here for a few reasons, but mostly because that is how much advertising sales grew over the last year. Your late night binge of music videos and Filippino men building houses contributed to YouTube pulling in over$7bn in ad sales. GOOGL rose3.3%yesterday as a result.

Advanced Micro Devices ($AMD)– CEO Lisa Su took one look at Street expectations for AMD's earnings and said "hold my beer." The firm reported EPS of $0.63 on $3.85bn in revenue, as opposed to expectations of $0.54 on $3.6bn, lifting the stock7.5%on the day. Laughing in the face of theglobal chip shortage, AMD nearly doubled sales from a year ago and projects the third quarter to be even better.

What is WSO Alpha?

D
  • Access 30+ holdings in an actual 401k account (held by lead investor)
  • Get trade alerts and research from an actual portfolio with real capital at stake (over 20% annualized return over 9.5 years)
  • Over 100 monthly brokerage statements included, dating back to December 2011 (as proof) when it started

>> Learn More Here <<

Join 80,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Rotten

Spotify Technology ($SPOT)– Joe Rogan, strong ad growth, and beating expectations on both the top and bottom line couldn't help Spotify overcomeweak user growthon the quarter, sending shares down5.7%. The music streaming and podcast platform has been busy lately, from beefing with Tim Cook to shelling out MLB-sized deals for podcasts. Stealing the limelight however, was the mention of pandemic-hampered user growth, as many listeners primarily used the service on their, now non-existent, commutes.

Apple ($AAPL)– Speaking of Tim Cook, America's largest company by market cap completely destroyed expectations, beating on revenue by almost $10bn to reach $81.4bn for the quarter (not a typo). Not a single product line grew less than 12%, and iPhone sales jumped 50% from a year earlier. But alas, shares fell1.0%because华尔街更关心你要什么do, not what's already done, and Apple's warning of a potential lack of chip supply dominated trader's minds.

Starbucks ($SBUX)– I will fight anyone who saysStarbucks is better than DunkinDonuts. It seems like Wall Street agrees with me as Starbucks closed down2.8%yesterday after their earnings call. U.S. sales came in strong as the national addiction to cold brew grew stronger, but unfortunately, China doesn't share the same fandom. A poor outlook in the most populous country on Earth rattled investors, as uncertainty around China spreads even wider.

Macro Monkey Says

JPow's Kickback– JPow and the FOMC wrapped up their little get together yesterday, and even though you weren't invited, we're here to tell you all about it. In the Feds classic, mind-numbingly boring way, they decided to keep rates at the 0-0.25% range and maintain $120bn in monthly asset purchases, with 2/3rds going towards Treasuries and 1/3rd towards agency MBSs. Moreover, JPow and crew did address thecontinuous economic improvementdespite the spread of the Delta Variant. Of note, the committee changed the language when referring to the hardest hit sectors of the economy from "remain weak" to "not fully recovered"...kind of like you progressing through the day after a night at the bar.

A

Food for Thought:

DEX Leverage– Trivia question: What does the most volatile asset class in the world need more than anything else? That's right, leverage. But not just any leverage, absolutely ridiculous amounts of it. As founder of decentralized exchange, FTX, Sam Brankman-Fried was questioned by the NYT on why traders need so much leverage. Stunning the world, Fried said he agrees traders do not need125x leverageand has decided to limit it to only 20x on FTX. I have no idea who these psychopathic masochists are that need to blow up 125x over, but I'm sure they're up in arms now that they can only lever up 20x. Thankfully, the average leverage used on these platforms hovers around 2x, but still, where can I go if I want to pass-on massive margin call debt to my great grandkids? Well, clearly not FTX.

Wise Investor Says

"The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

Philip Fisher

Happy Investing,

Patrick & The Daily Peel Team

Was this email forwarded to you?Sign up for the WSO Daily Peelhere.

ADVERTISE//WSO ALPHA//COURSES//LEGAL

Join 80,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Comments (1)

Jul 29, 2021 - 6:15am

Sed asperiores aut aperiam consequuntur eum cupiditate quidem. Non officia numquam dolorem iusto cumque. Voluptatum accusantium voluptas qui tenetur a. Iste corrupti quo architecto soluta odit.

Sit iste dolores nihil eum voluptatem facilis. Dolores velit temporibus enim ad.

Officiis aut nihil quisquam beatae deleniti sed et nisi. Dolor ad mollitia quis et culpa. Voluptatem consequuntur quas provident.

Ducimus quaerat consequatur est id libero. A facilis perspiciatis corporis nemo dignissimos. Ut enim animi nihil amet.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

December 2021万博app网页版

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (40) $360
  • Associates (246) $236
  • 2nd Year Analyst (149) $155
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (34) $154
  • Intern/Summer Associate (109) $146
  • 1st Year Analyst (529) $138
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (402) $84