I have only heard standard cookie cutter answers before, and I am curious how best to answer this investment banking interview question.
of course, your desire to stand out and leave a strong impression is justified. Interviewers have more applicants than they know what to do with. And yes, they're looking for people that display intelligence, confidence, and certainty in their future career path. But sometimes it's best to stick to the safe answers and just go with what works.
Here is a collection of the best standard responses to this common question from WSO users.
- Compbanker-私募股权副总裁: Stick with cookie cutter -- Don't try to be special or unique; stick to logic and passion.
- Ideating - WSO User: The best answers would typically be some combination of experience working on big deals, the caliber of your colleagues, gaining a strong financial foundation, and a strong interest in finance.
Detailed Why IB Answers?
While cookie-cutter responses are safe, sometimes a little more substance is appropriate/appreciated.
I want to work in investment banking because I understand it has a steep learning curve and will allow me to establish a strong foundation for valuation, Excel modeling skills, and understanding the XXX sector. I know the hours will be long, but the time spent understanding and learning about XXX space would give me the opportunity to remain in finance over the longer term.
This answer does a few things:
- By mentioning valuation/Excel, you're showing you know what you'll be doing, and you have pitched why it is valuable 'a strong base of skills for *future* on Wall Street'.
- Answers that somehow indicate you are going into the profession to earn large amounts of money or because you eventually want to go to business school/private equity/hedge funds. Even if this may be true, you want the interviewer to think that you are committed to the industry even though he/she knows that, more than likely, you'll decide to leave after two years of service.
- MARCUS_HALBERTRAM-行业首席执行官: Don't say anything about client interaction. Period. Any interviewer that's said anything about 'CEOs, executives, clients, management teams, and (cringe) the C-suite' are immediate 'this kid doesn't know what we/he will do here' dings.
What If You Are a Non-Business Major?
伟大的关注skill-buil回答这个问题ding, networking, and a love for difficult challenges. You want to emphasize that:
- 作为非企业专业，你是excited to learn the complex accounting and finance skills involved on the job and eventually transform into an analyst that has potential to significantly impact the group.
- 您最终想成为一种积极的“ Go-Goter”类型。”
Law to Investment Banking
jbarret34 [第二年企业合伙人]概述了为什么从投资银行的大法万博app网页版makes sense for him:
- I know thatI love transactional work, like working in a fast-paced, demanding environment, don't mindlong hours, and eventually want to be the one making the deals,而不是仅仅促进他们的律师/银行家。
"WallStreetOasis.com" noted the following if coming from consulting.
- For those trying to get into more senior roles post-MBA, a more appropriate response would be, "I like long projects and getting to know clients; however, the transactional nature of investment banking is very appealing to me because you see the results of your work much more quickly. Whereas consulting engagements can last for years, especially when implementation is involved, the average investment banking mandate typically lasts for several months, so you are getting exposed to more scenarios and the learning curve is faster.
onemanwolfpack [Investment Banking VP] Gives those coming from abackground in commercial bankingsome solid advice:
- Read up on the latest M&A deals, know your technicals frontwards and back, and show an over-the-top eagerness to break into the industry.
Asset Management to Investment Banking
Started your career in AM and want to make a move to IB?Here's some insight on whether or not it's the right choice for you, and if so, how to convince a potential employer you'd be a fit.
- Mandaisokay [万博app网页版投资银行分析师：如果您不觉得自己对AM充满热情，我会转向IB，因为它会提供更广泛的退出OPP。如果您实际上很喜欢在AM的工作，并且可以长期从事这项业务，那就留下来。
- Wallstreetoasis.com [WSO首席执行官]：在AM的背景下，对“为什么”问题的反应都有很强的回应，尽管资产管理使我能够分析公司和财务公司，并基于该分析进行交易，我真的认为我会长期与这些公司和交易工作更直接地合作。
Interested in Investment Banking - Breaking In
The fact of the matter is you won't improve unless you practice. To have any chance at the technical questions, you need to prepare yourself with legitimate questions. The WallStreetOasis investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to help you break into investment banking by acing the technical questions.