How Much Does Being A Finance Intern At A F500 Pharma Company Help For Full-Time IB Applications?

Hi all, basically the title above. I asked this in theMBBpage too, but I'm also interested inIB.

I'm a junior in college, and got a Finance internship secured for next summer at a F500 pharma company (think Roche, Merck, Novartis), and I don't know whether it would help or hurt to intern there if I want to apply toIBfor full-time next year. On one hand, I think the F500 brand name + finance internship will help, but I don't know how I would justify that I was in finance in pharma, and wanted to switch over toIB. Given that I would be applying to the first-year entry-level role atIB, would firms even ask me to explain why I want to go from pharma finance to IB? Also does my internshipcount as corporate finance? I never understood what that term meant. Thanks!

Comments (8)

Nov 6, 2021 - 1:05pm
WSO Monkey Bot, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Hey Blingking, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your topic! Bummer...could just be unlucky but one of these topics will help shed some light:

More suggestions...

鳍gers crossed that one of those helps you.

• Incoming AnalystinIB - Cov
Nov 15, 2021 - 10:45pm

I just finishedFTrecruiting and I actually was in nearly the same position as you. If you're interested in healthcare banking, you can spin it that way and it can help your story a big as to why that group. Without anyibexperience you have to be a able to explain whyiband not staying where youhad your summer internship. For me, when I was interviewing I explained how the internship was relevant and argued that my non traditional background was actually a benefit. Overall, a finance internship at a reputable company isn't a bad thing to have, just know if you're dead set onibit will be a bit of an uphill battle

• Incoming AnalystinIB - Gen
Nov 24, 2021 - 4:36pm

I'll be starting at aMM, and got interviews at a fewBBandMM. The places I was most able to get interviews were biotech focused healthcare groups, which are mostly located in SF with a few in LA

Nov 24, 2021 - 5:59pm
Blingking, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I will keep those types of companies in mind when applying next year.

• Analyst 2inIB-M&A
Nov 24, 2021 - 11:59am

Boutiques such as Crosstree,Bourne Partners, etc. will find this experience extremely useful.

Nov 24, 2021 - 6:01pm
Blingking, what's your opinion? Comment below:

Ut sit ipsam et reprehenderit. Eaque commodi ducimus non harum. Ut a quos amet. Dicta aut ut quia est rerum in. Tempore illo est doloribus. Soluta iure tempora quia.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

July 2022万博app网页版

• Jefferies & Company(▲03) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International(= =) 99.2%
  • RBC Capital Markets(▲07) 98.8%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch(▲01) 98.4%
  • Houlihan Lokey(▲06) 98.0%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

July 2022万博app网页版

• Lincoln International(▲06) 99.6%
  • Jefferies & Company(▲11) 99.2%